1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger's Spurs/Bumps on Legs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cheeptrick, Jun 18, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...I've checked all 24 and every single one has very noticable bumps on their shanks above their feet. My question is Are these the beginnings of spurs? Or DO hens have these same bumps/spurs?
    Easter Eggers 9 weeks old today

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Even my pullets have those little bumps. On roosters, they just begin to grow as they reach maturity at several months old.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Yep, some of my girls have those bumps. No biggie...unless the grow larger, and you " hen" starts to crow!LOL

4. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    thank you...that's a relief! I checked every single on of them and fear'd I might have all roosters! While I don't mind a few...24 of them was a daunting idea! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. A GIBSON

A GIBSON Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    We just aquired a stray easter egger cockrel..... he is separated from our flock (one silkie rooster one standard roo and 11 hens. .. could this guy be potentially dangerous? ?[​IMG]

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Well its hard to tell if a rooster is going to be dangerous.But from my experience easter eggers are very nice

7. A GIBSON

A GIBSON Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    He seems to be approachable at the moment but,I'm sure he's very stressed out from being captured and brought somewhere unfamiliar. He's separated from the rest until we know he isn't ill.. he and the other roosters haven't raised their hackles or charged each other through the screen. .. the seem to be conversing lol but I've never introduced grown roosters before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by