Easter eggers--To clip or not to clip?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awalters0815, Aug 15, 2010.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I just got 4 easter eggers and an aracauna. All five are 6 months old. They are very fast and fly well. Should I clip them or not? I have a four foot chin link fence around the property. I will be free ranging them.

2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens that can fly can get out of a six foot fence. It is very annoying because when they are used to free ranging they just decide to free range whenever they want to by flying out. Right now I'm keeping those chickens in a pen with a top on it.

3. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    I have a four foot fence and i keep my chickens clipped the have never gotten out. I let them free range an hour or two a day but keep a close eye on them because they cant fly away from preditors. Its a trade off but they cant fly out of thier lot when i'm not here.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

My EEs are the only birds I have clipped. My small flock is in a 1/5 acre enclosure with 4" fence and no one tries to get out. The EEs would fly to the top of the only 5' section of the fence so they got their wings clipped and so far , no more antics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by