Easter Eggers -- who crowed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DanceswLabs, Jul 9, 2011.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Yesterday evening, I heard a sound that made my blood chill. Only those who have been terrorized by a rooster would understand, but I'll bet a few of you here know that feeling. Anyway, I have 6 Easter Egger Pullets who are about 12-14 weeks old. For a week or so, I have been suspicious of a couple of them being roos. Last year was the Year of Stewy at our home. Stewy was a leghorn roo who was dispatched after months of terrorizing us. I tried to work on his behavior, but there was no overcoming that genetic urge to stalk and flog anything that moves. Last night, I heard what sounded like a first crow: you know, a cross between a bullfrog and a crow choking on something? I suspect one of my pullets (and maybe more) is a roo. Here are some pictures that I took of them this morning Can you chicken gender experts tell me if you see a flogging in my future from these girls (guys)?

Pic of suspect #1 -- Sandy

[​IMG]

Pic of suspect #2 -- Kate

[​IMG]

EE#3

[​IMG]

EE#4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Group shot

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    1, 2 and 4 are certainly pullets. The tail on #3 is throwing me off, do you have a side view? The comb looks like a pullet though.

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

They all look like pullets to me.

However, if these are your only birds, #3 could be the culprit.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Most likely the one with the biggest and most reddish comb. It's hard to judge by those pics. I'd say either 3 or 4.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA

You said you have six ee's, where are the other two?

6. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    I'd say #3.

7. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    pips&peeps :

You said you have six ee's, where are the other two?

we need to see the other two... these four are all girls!​

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I would say those are all girls. Though #3 looks a tad suspicious.

9. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    What a relief to hear that they are pullets (with some suspiscion for #3). I will get pics of the other two and post them.

My husband andI think that the "crowing" I heard may have been crows! They have been hanging around, and they make all kinds of sounds. I will get pics of the other two this evening.

10. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    My EE roos never threatened me. They kept their distance and concentrated on their girls.

Had a wonderful little chick Blue Andalusian (white egg layer Meditteranean class like your Leghorn) that grew up into a terror. I named him Napoleon for his attitude, and it was prophetic. He met his Waterloo, my BF put him in freezer camp when I wasn't there one day.

Your EEs are very pretty. Where did you get them? If its a hatchery, I might check it out as I'm going to order some EE here pretty soon. Just can't decide on which hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by