Easter eggers with red stars?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JOSEYWALES, Jul 13, 2010.

1. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I would like to put my EE's in the same coop as the red stars. All pullets, 5 EE and 26 red stars. Any comments, concerns, etc. Thanks!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If they are all pullets and of a comparable age, I wouldn't see any problem.

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    You shouldn't be worried. Go for it!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have 3 EEs in with my son's 3 red stars, plus a half-EE cockerel. They get along fine, although my EEs are a bit more phlegmatic than the red stars who are definitely the "miss bossy boots"es of the coop. As long as they have enough room, yours should do fine. And it makes a nice colorful basket of eggs [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    well let's see... i have RSL's, an Australorp, a Brahma, EE's, RIRs, a Polish, a couple Houdans, and a Barred Rock all in the same coop and i have yet to have any serious issues. of course there is a pecking order.. but no one seems to get picked on or bullied in the least. they all free range unrestricted on 40 acres during the day and are locked up in a 120 sq. ft. coop at night.

i think you are GOOD TO GO! [​IMG]

6. JOSEYWALES

May 20, 2010
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated! [​IMG]

7. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    You only need to keep the breeds separate if you plan on breeding them. If all you have are a bunch of hens, there's no reason they can't bunk together.

8. JOSEYWALES

May 20, 2010
    A follow up question for future reference. In a coop with hens only are there any combinations that are a definate no no?

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    You should do it as long as you know how to introduce new hens.... if not, you should do some research. They would know which ones are new because they look a lot different, but just stick em' in at night and oyu probably won't have a problem...

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    And also yes, there are some, I'd recommend NEVER putting a couple hens with White Leghorns. I've tried this a lot, and it's never worked out well. WLs and not usually very friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by