Easter eggers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicolette, Apr 7, 2017.

1. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    I just got 4 easter eggers at a feed store. But when i went their they were labeled amerecaunas. I took a picture of the 4 little chicks & posted them on this forum & instead oof the being amerecauna somebody on this forum told me they were easter eggers. Since i found out their easter eggers. Does that mean I'd will get the blue, green & will i get pink?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don't lay pink eggs, Easter ether lay green, brown, and blue

3. Neezers Farm

Neezers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2016
    New Hope, Florida
    Many of my Easter egger hens lay beautiful pink eggs. Some lay green, olive and peach.

4. Neezers Farm

Neezers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2016
    New Hope, Florida

5. nicolette

nicolette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    I'm new @ having easter egger chicks. Do 1 easter egger hen lay all those multiple colors? Will it always be a surprise @ what colour they'll lay.

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    While EE's can and do lay many different colors, once a pullet lays an egg, that with slight variations (sometimes as she gets into her cycle, the color fades.) will be her color. My EE"s have all laid beautiful blue, pale blue and greenish blue eggs unless you count the olive eggers as EE"s than you can get olive eggs too.
    I have had several hens lay a beautiful pinkish egg and most were Jersey giants or mixes thereof. Or buckeyes.
    Just wanted to add, genetically pink is a variation of brown and is a result of the coating on the egg.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Saying EEs sometimes lay pink eggs is just a CYA way of saying they sometimes don't inherit the blue shell gene.

The shell base color is either blue or white and then coatings can change it further from there. So, a blue shell layer can produce eggs that are more blue or green but her shell color stays blue. A white shell layer can produce anything from white to the richest of browns if she has the coating genes for it. Brown eggs can lean to the yellower side or the redder side so eggs that have light coatings of those colors are sometimes called "yellow" or "cream" or "pink". They're all shades of light brown.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Oh, and add Speckled Sussex to the list of hens that may lay "pink" eggs. Mine lay eggs the shade of "pale" or "fair" liquid foundation. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by