!!!easter eggers!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15, Feb 29, 2008.

1. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    my easter eggers are 1 month old today can i place them outside with my flock????thx

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they should be closer to 4 months old and about the same size as the adults, or almost, before you try to do introductions. The adults could seriously hurt one month old chicks.

3. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Be careful with that. They are probably not big enough to hold their own in the Pecking Order battle. What you can do is put them in a cage or Dog Crate (that is what I did with my cochins) so they can spend time with each other and get use to the idea of being around each other. You may want to wait a while longer before trying to get them all together. Of course you just never know, the older ones may take to the youngin's and protect them too.

4. speckledhen

Of course you just never know, the older ones may take to the youngin's and protect them too.

Not likely. More likely they'll kill them. A hen who is not broody will hurt or kill chicks, hers or not. NEVER put month-old chicks in with an adult flock.​

5. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Well said speckledhen, I have heard of some hens taking on the protector role from someone, but I waited until mine were much bigger before introducing them, and even then still had to let them sort things out.

6. speckledhen

It's possible with some breeds more than others, muddler, but I wouldn't bank on it. On occasion a silkie or a Buff Orp might take on a motherly role with a youngster, but more often than not, they'll just peck and chase.

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want to introduce them, build a place for them in the coop so they can see each other. I did this last year and used chicken wire to seperate them . Good luck, if I were you though, I'd keep them in for awhile yet. it's not real warm yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by