easter eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CHKNFMR, May 9, 2008.

1. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    What do these birds look like? Do they lay and hatch well, how good are the eggs to eat? Brood easy? Are they used for meat chickens/ if so how good are they? Thinking of getting several chickens we can use for meat chickens, but want a breed that reproduces well and turns out good eggs and meat. Any pics and info welcome.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Very beautiful birds, multi-colored, never know what you are going to get, actually. Some have beards, some don't. Some lay greenish eggs, some don't. Eggs are delicious. Meat is delicious. They are LARGE chickens that make cool sounds, especially if they have more of the jungle fowl-type characteristics that Araucanas have. I don't know about brooding and hatching. They are good birds overall, though, for first-time chicken owners. Here's a picture from this site:

[​IMG]

Edited to add, you cannot show them as they are a mixed, not true breed of chickens.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This is Iris, one of my 2 EE's.
    She is broody right now for the 2nd time this year.

[​IMG]

My EE's lay about 4-5 eggs each a week.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, I couldn't think of a better word [​IMG] Not show as in actual chicken shows... but for show, ie decoration. But apparently they are more useful than just that [​IMG]

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    ooooo I love Miss Iris [​IMG] she's such a pretty bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by