Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tyler2740, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tyler2740

tyler2740 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    small town
    Hey guys, im new to the EE's and i was wondering when breeding them what determines the egg color the offspring will have? Thanks!

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    EE's tend to have a greenish blue, Olive, or pinkish brown eggs. It is pretty much the luck of the draw. If you breed Green eggs to green eggs you will usually get green. Some might lay a brown egg. If you put a Dark Egg Rooster (like a Welsummer or Maran) over a EE Hen you will usually get Olive/ Turquorise Eggs.

Nate

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Olive / Turquoise? Apologies but there's a big difference between those. If you get turquoise your dark brown layer/carrier isn't pure. [​IMG] Now yes some F1 "olive egger" pullets may lay random off-colored eggs but far as I've known, none end up that color.

With males it will be hard to say, but the egg color in offspring is determined with the parent's genetic makeup for egg color. It is easy to tell with hens because you see it, but with roosters it in most cases can just be judged with theory on comb type, shape, and size/tightness. Otherwise it's a wildcard.

So, a blue laying hen x small pea combed male = likely blue layers, but you might get green

Green laying hen x single combed male = likely brown, a few green layers

Brown laying hen x pea combed male of whatever size, long as it it doesn't largely flop to one side = nice green eggs of varying shades

Dark brown laying hen x small pea combed male = nice olive green eggs.

Now if you know the rooster's parents that really helps.

2 people like this.
  4. chicken fever

chicken fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    dallas, tx
    So if I crossed my black star, orpington, Jersey giant, or new Hampshire hens to [​IMG]my splash americauna ( pictured below) they would produce diff shades of green correct?

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    That could have hens that lay greenish eggs. Its all a guess and you never know until they start laying what color you will get.

Nate

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    WellI gotta break it to you, that's no Ameraucana nor splash in color, but yes, you'll get off shades of green, possibly some brown too.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    So,
    Illia What would be his correct coloring? Columbian with Melanizers (Spelling)?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, just a golden (silver and gold genes both) duckwing with Columbian. Possibly Wheaten with columbian too. Or half and half. In fact if he's less yellow than pictured he may just be a sun-bleached silver duckwing/wheaten with Columbian.

Melanizers will increase the amount of black.

9. chicken fever

Jan 30, 2012
    dallas, tx
    So is he an EE? I bought him from a breeder in N Dallas and they claimed he was pure Americauna! I am so new to all this breeding and well chickens in general that I was spoofed! darn me for not looking into it first. His yellow is pretty bright. So I am now totally confused as to what he is breed and coloring!!! HEEELLLPPP!!!!!

10. chicken fever

Jan 30, 2012
    dallas, tx
    Here are my hens that are claimed to be americaunas. Are they or just EE?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by