Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by catydid4199, Sep 25, 2012.

1. catydid4199

catydid4199 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    I just bought 2 Easter Eggers. I have never had this breed before and was wondering if there is a way to determine the sex. They are approximately 8 or 9 weeks. I know its a little early, but was just wondering if any of you would know what to look for in this breed. Also, when might I expect this breed to begin laying. Thanks everyone for any help you can give!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Can you post pictures of the birds in question?

3. catydid4199

Jun 23, 2012
    Yes, if I can figure out how.

4. catydid4199

Jun 23, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK...here they are. I was suprised how hard it was to get a good shot. Hope you can tell something from these. The gold and black one was being pecked so his beard is missing. I felt sorry for him or her and brought it home.

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Tricky, but they look like pullets to me. They're young, though... could you post a pic of the whitish one's comb? Even my slow-developing roo's comb was starting to pink up at 8 weeks.

6. catydid4199

Jun 23, 2012
    Thank you. Looking good so far. I will post the pic a little later this evening. So far, all who I have asked who know anything about chickens are saying pullets. Keeping my fingers crossed!! How many of these do you have? Do they lay well? Im curious to know anything you have experienced with them. Any pics?

7. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    i think that both pullets also

8. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    From this end, it is hard to tell. [​IMG] I agree about the comb, but it depends on what breed the easter eggers have in them. An Easter Egger is usually bred for it's egg color, which can be blue, teal, green, or pink. They usually start to lay at 4 1/2 month to 6 months of are depending, on day length, breed, etc.

9. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Easter Eggers are awesome! I have... let's see... eight. They all have a bunch of other breeds mixed in, so they lay a variety of egg colors. And they're so sweet! The blue egg gene is closely linked to the pea comb gene, so if yours have peas (and are pullets) then they have a good chance of laying blue or green eggs. One of my EEs has a strange comb that has attributes of both a single and a pea - she lays brown eggs with spots. I recently adopted an olive egger (an EE/marans cross) who I hope will lay dark green eggs. The possibilities are endless!

10. catydid4199

Jun 23, 2012
    Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by