easter eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by catmando, Sep 21, 2013.

1. catmando

catmando New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    cunningham,ky
    have a barred rooster and what people are telling me are easter egger hens. im getting the coolest green eggs. going to start hatching some. any ideas what may come of this. fresh on the farm. chance

2. anirishfarmer

anirishfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2013
    Ireland
    hi ya catmando [​IMG]

this I have no clue [​IMG]

as a learner at this chicken gig ,i'll wait with you for the answer

meanwhile why don't you do a wee intro here ,so folk can get to know you a bit [​IMG]

Health and happiness

3. catmando

catmando New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    cunningham,ky
    well im 31 with a beatiful wife and daughter. we just started with 5 chicks and ended up being two roosters and three hens. need all the advice i can get. my goal is two start hatching some of these easter eggers

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your barred rooster will give you all chicks that are barred, to some degree. What base colors you get will depend on the colors of your hens, but the black from the barred rock tends to show up pretty strong. You'll probably get a lot of birds that look like a barred rock, but with beards and muffs. These are some of the birds I've come up with my barred roo over easter eggers and easter egger/leghorn mixes. I love breeding mixed breed birds, you get all different colors!

5. catmando

catmando New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    cunningham,ky
    If i want to keep getting easter eggers should i take the barred out and leave the black footed domanecker

6. catmando

catmando New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    cunningham,ky
    [​IMG]

7. catmando

catmando New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    cunningham,ky
    Thats what im getting and would like to keep it that w[​IMG]ay. so here they are

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your second rooster looks to be something like a spangled Hamburg. I'm not really familiar with the breed so can't say for sure. I think your rooster is a black sex link, not a pure barred rock. So, half your chicks will be barred, half not.

If you really want all your offspring to lay green eggs, you'd need to get an Easter egger rooster to put over your hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by