Easter or Olive egger?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Duckee, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Duckee

Duckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Olive is 19 weeks old. The lady I got her from at 3 weeks old said she is an olive egger. How would I be able to tell before she lays? How can i tell what breeds she is mixed with? She is solid black ( comb, feet, feathers, beard), im not positive about her skin color, but it looks dark to me (she is docile, but skiddish with humans). It is hard to tell if she is close to lay by looking at her comb. About what age do EW or OE begin to lay? Any help is appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No way to tell until she actually lays.

4. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    No way to tell until she actually lays.
    [/quote
    Thanks. Do you know what breed would cause her to have a black comb?

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could be caused by several different melanizing genes that are associated with the extended black pattern gene. I've had a few Easter Egger/Barred Rock crosses have similar dark combs, but it's not specific to any one breed in particular.

6. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Oh,ok. So i assume her comb will eventually turn red then? She also has a beautiful blue/purple hue opposed to my australorps green hue. She is the prettiest of my bunch hands down. I am anxious to get that first egg from her :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by