Easter Sunday Chick Dead Help :-(

10PointChickens

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
My wife and I purchased three chickens on Easter Sunday one was a polish which was 10 days old and 2 Millie Fluer D Uccle which are 4-7 weeks old. The Polish chick became very lethargic yesterday and stopped eating and drinking. Today she was much worse, couldn't stand and eyes stayed shut. My wife took her to the vet and they said it was a bacteria, cant remember the type. She brought her home with the antibiotics and electrolytes and gave her those as best she could. When I came home She was not moving and struggling to breath. I started giving her water and antibiotics and put her back in her box. About 20 mins after that she passed away. Now I have noticed one of the Millies is acting different and its crop is near empty after all day wont eat much and isn't near as chipper. I have recently introduced the two millies to my other chickens which are 2 rir and 2 assorted bantams one is a roo. Any ideas how to help my chickens stay healthy? Am I doing something wrong? Is the rooster bantam keeping it from eating? Please help :-(

I think you may be dealing with coccidiosis, which can easily be transmitted from older chickens to younger ones when they are mixed together. Corid, Ampromed, or amprollium is the treatment. Give 2 tsp liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of powder per gallon of water to all chicks for 5 days. At the completion of treatment give vitamins and probiotics for several days. Here is a link about this disease: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Back
Top Bottom