1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter!! what a wonderful time.....if you sell chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bunch-a-chickens, Feb 8, 2008.

1. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    there's a small flea market in our area and I olan to set some chicks up around easter time. Anybody else got the same idea?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I'm shooting for around 1000 chicks to sell. And I have the backyard chickens save-a-chick pamphlet all printed out and ready to distribute.

3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Aren't we trying to discourage the selling of chicks as gifts [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's a fine line between gift chicks for reason of chicks in the year and gift chicks for just the cute factor. I am sure members on here have the pamphlet ready and won't let owners take just one chick home and such. I sell chicks in the spring too, just happens easter is about time it heats up and the hens are full swing of laying. However, I always ask about set up. Everone has to start somewhere and if we give out info and send them here to learn, it will help more people become educated and thus fewer chicks will be bought with ignorance of their proper care.

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well selling them in spring time is one thing bc that is when most people are adding to their flock and such but the posting is for Easter, not spring time.
    If people are given the correct info and sent home with the right things...like the pamphlet [​IMG] thats one thing but many will not.

I printed 120 copies of the postcards today and 60 of the pamphlet! Atwoods gets their chicks int he last week of Feb so guess where I am going [​IMG]

6. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    "Aren't we trying to discourage the selling of chicks as gifts."

Perhaps you and some other people may be doing this, and thats great. But, I don't think all of us feel the same way. If people are responsible I'd not have problem selling one chick. My interest in chickens started when I was a child and I recieved an Easter chick. That chick ended up on Mr&Mrs Mac's ( an old WWI vet who didn't have running water in his house but had a heart as big as all outdoors)farm when it got to big for me to house properly. Since that time I have wanted chickens, and now I am in a position that I can provide them with all they need and more. So without that experience I wouldn't be here now. I plan on selling chicks all year if I can, and offer to buy them back if they can't take care of them. I also give them my phone number if they have problems and need help. I love my Rottie, heck she sleeps in my bed, but when she has pups I sell them too.

If you chose not to sell chicks thats fine and perhaps admirable, but please stop critising people that don't agree with you.

BunchAChicks, Go for it, just do it in a responsible fashion. Which I'm sure you will. [​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    If you chose not to sell chicks thats fine and perhaps admirable, but please stop critising people that don't agree with you.

I don't really think Hooligan was critising, sounds more like concern. You all do sound like you have pre-thought the decision to sell chicks at Easter-time pretty well though and Bob makes a good point of sparking the interest in raising chicks early on. The cold hard truth is that some chicks and ducks will be abandoned though after the cute fuzziness wears off........which will just give Weeble more shelters to visit and critters to rescue and re-home.......the circle of life [​IMG]

8. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Scrambled, hi.
    You said "which will just give Weeble more shelters to visit and critters to rescue and re-home.......the circle of life"
    That cracked me up [​IMG] I needed a laugh, thanks.
    If I took hooligan wrong, then I stand corrected, but the first post came across to me like critisism, and the second sounded like a scolding. ( Easter, if my calander is correct is in the spring.)
    "If people are given the correct info and sent home with the right things...like the pamphlet thats one thing but many will not."
    All mothers are given pamphlets about raising their children properly when they leave the Maternity Ward, many don't follow that advice. Maybe we should restrict all mothers taking their children home. Aren't humans more important ( not exactly the right word cause my chickens are more important to me than most people [​IMG]) than chickens.
    I get miffed when people take the high ground, and need to tell us all how we should act. If I took holligan wrong I appologize, but from how I read it thats how I took it.
    If holligan said " Are you going to provide the buyers with care information? I have a great pamphlet I could send you. You know, some of us are concerned with people buying one chick, then not taking care of it properly, have you taken that into consideration? The word "Easter" kind of fits that sterotype." That would not have been critisism, it would have come across as helpful, and I would have totally agreed. Just my thoughts... I'm not trying to tell you how to write Holligan, thats was for example purposes only.

Bob

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I think you both make good points and I guess we all hope all those little pastel dyed Easter chicks and ducks end up in loving homes. [​IMG]

10. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Now, dyed chicks that's a different story. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by