Eastern Iowa Poultry Association Annual Show, November 29-30

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by NewChickenMom, Oct 21, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Judges: John Thomforde, Jim Konecny, Gary Rossman, Vic Stirnanan

Located at: Sharpless Auction Complex on east side of Iowa City, IA

Send entries to:

Phil Shank
    1355 Elm Ave.
    Wellman, IA 52356
    (319) 646-2011 or [email protected]

Entries postmarked by November 12th

$2.50/bird

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Thanks a ton! I needed that! [​IMG]

Do you know how much entry fee per bird is?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  3. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I have a silly question on the show catalog it says a display must consist of not less than 7 fowls. Does that mean you have to enter 7 birds to be able to show? Just curious, never shown a chicken and have been tossing it around. I show dogs but thats totally different:)

4. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    no, a display is when you show 7 birds of the same color and type. its a seperate type of showing than just regular show. you can take just one bird to show if you want.

you should go!!! i'll be there and i'll help you out!

5. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I may take my Salmon fav cockerel if I get our papers back soon enough, we had em tested for pullorum yesterday. Thanks for answering my question.

6. AnSfarms

AnSfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Nebraska
    Even with a display - all birds are judged individually. It just shows that a breeder is working and doing well on that variety. Displays consist of one of each a pullet, cockerel, hen, cock, and a young or old trio - to make 7 birds total in the same variety.

Take your roo and have some fun!!

7. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I may take my Salmon fav cockerel if I get our papers back soon enough, we had em tested for pullorum yesterday. Thanks for answering my question.

What is pullorum? do you have to have them tested to take them? Can any breed go? This sounds like fun!​

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Normally they will test them at the show. They poke the chicken under the wing and get a dab of blood (unless it is a white chicken then they poke them and it gushes!) [​IMG] It is pretty simple just a blood test. Immeditate results!

9. dunroven

dunroven Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2008
    Odebolt, Iowa
    Okay, so if I can get time to go to this with my light Sussex are you all going to show me what to do?

I'm going to be dumb here, cause I also have never gone to a bird show, but here's my questions.

What do you do with the bird? You just take it in its own cage and does the judge handle it, etc? What is the prize? A ribbon? Where do I get an "booklet" on this show?

10. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    Hey!!This is only 2 hours and 30 minutes from me!!
    I think I can come with my silkies!!Whoo HOo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by