Eastern is wheezing and strange sounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by petra65, Feb 1, 2017.

1. petra65

petra65 Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Hello Chickenlover,

I have an Easterhen, 5 months old just started laying eggs. This morning she was completely fine, eating drinking and laying an egg. An hour later she started to make strange noises, almost like " I can't breath". I have no idea what to do. My flock looks great and is very healthy. The coop is dry and the run is also dry, covered with a little hay. I live in Southern California, so it is not cold. They all sleep in the coop.
    I will attache a little video where you can here the sound/noises she makes.
    Oh please help me....
    Thanks a lot.
    Petra
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is having stridor, which is a musical wheezing sound that occurs when there is something such as mucus, a piece of food, or a foreign body partially blocking the airway or trachea. It ialso aounds like she is snicking or sneezing at the end of the wheeze. Is she shaking her head, having any nasal drainage, watery or foamy eye? Stridor sometimes can disappear in an hour ot two if it simply is due to a piece of food stuck in the throat. It she is still doing it or having the other symptoms, then I would think that she may have a respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis or others. Hopefully, she has stopped having this by now.

3. petra65

petra65 Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Thank you for your answer. She has no other symptoms. And now that you are saying it: The morning she was fine, I gave them some oyster shells and from one second to the next she started making these sounds. First thought was "there is something stuck in her".
    Its now 5 hours later. She is in her coop, sleeping still wheezing. Should I separate her from the other girls?

Thank you so much for your help
    Petra

4. petra65

petra65 Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Well you are completely right!! Once I googled stridor, everything was clear.
    I am just very glad, that she is fine. No sounds today, she acts normal.
    Your chicken knowledge is incredible!
    Thank you
    Petra

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad that her stridor has gone. Once in awhile I will see that in one of my hens during eating, and many others post about the same noise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by