Eastern Montana (4B ZONE) Chicken Coop Design

TheOgdensmenagerie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Eastern Montana
Hi Everyone,

Recently moved, our new ranch is set up for all our other critters (Horses, Goats, Dogs...) one thing this place doesn't have is a chicken coop or garden!
I have had chickens for many years now. But I have always lived and tended to them in a 9a zone so pretty warm compared to here.

I need help with a chicken coop design that works into a permaculture garden. I'm completely lost on where to begin. I have tried searching BYC but haven't found anything really that helps me. I have read the Alsakan Frosted Flake Advice post that helped quite a bit on coop details for cold climates.

I have an old shed on the property that I'm thinking about salvaging/converting if possible.... I have attached pictures.
8X8 footprint, one working window, and then a hole with hardware cloth for ventilation (I'm assuming), double doors one is stationary with a pin, pitched roof inside.

Is this even worth using? Or would it be easier to start completely from scratch?

Any and all advice is a help!

Attachments

• PXL_20220109_183126403.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220109_183126403.MP.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20220109_183258391.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220109_183258391.MP.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220109_183313200.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220109_183313200.MP.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20220109_183331177.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220109_183331177.MP.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 4
It would be easier to start from scratch; not sure if it would be enough easier to justify the cost.

Maybe start with taking the paneling down to see how sound the frame is. From the water damage on the paneling and probably age of the paneling, I give it about a 25% chance that it is sound enough to work with.

Next step is to see if the water damage is from only the roof or also the siding. If it is both, it will cost almost as much to fix this shed than to build new besides not being easier.

If it is just the roof that is shot then there is a fair chance it is worth working with this for a coop.

I recommend a Wood's coop for your climate if you build new.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-colony-house-portable.1104954/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-style-house-in-the-winter.445004/

I'm halfway through my first winter with a Woods' inspired shed coop. It is working very well but is still pretty new so not thoroughly proven like the style in the two links.... there are a lot more example if you want them.

If you want to work with your existing shed... I think you will need to replace the roof with a different design. There are a few likely options.

What do you think so far?

It would be easier to start from scratch; not sure if it would be enough easier to justify the cost.

Maybe start with taking the paneling down to see how sound the frame is. From the water damage on the paneling and probably age of the paneling, I give it about a 25% chance that it is sound enough to work with.

Next step is to see if the water damage is from only the roof or also the siding. If it is both, it will cost almost as much to fix this shed than to build new besides not being easier.

If it is just the roof that is shot then there is a fair chance it is worth working with this for a coop.

I recommend a Wood's coop for your climate if you build new.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-colony-house-portable.1104954/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-style-house-in-the-winter.445004/

I'm halfway through my first winter with a Woods' inspired shed coop. It is working very well but is still pretty new so not thoroughly proven like the style in the two links.... there are a lot more example if you want them.

If you want to work with your existing shed... I think you will need to replace the roof with a different design. There are a few likely options.

What do you think so far?

I think the water damage is from the hardware cloth/window opening above that spot. But until I dig into it, I won't know how compromised the structure is!
I wanted some opinions before I did that, because if they were overwhelmingly for the "Not Worth it "side I wouldn't have time wasted! lol

The roof is shot in general so it would need to be replaced as well!

I LOVE that Wood's design! It's beautiful and seems to be very functional. I think it would work well in Permaculture set up as well.

Thank you for all your input! :)

One option for replacing the roof is raising it to give space for eave vents. Then make the eaves wide to protect the walls and keep rain from coming in the eaves. Snow will still come in; in winter, cover the eaves with something like furnuce filter material (aarts' solution) or maybe light-weight row covers. You want as much air to come through it as possible without letting the snow through.

You want a minimum of 1 sq ft per bird... 16' of eaves... they would have to be 6" vertically to get enough for eight chickens. You have enough floor space for that many if they have access to a run for a good chunk of nearly every day. Six inches is a big gap but doable.

The eaves should be wide enough to come down at least even with the top of the walls. (I actually just made that up). So the actual distance would vary depending on the slope of your roof. Or make them at least 1' out from the walls - I've seen that number by many people but most people have 2-4" tall eave vents, I think, when they have them at all.

If you make a gable roof, a ridge vent is great in addition to the eave vents but you can't count it if snow cover is blocking it. A cupula or monitor roof would be better than a ridge vent - much more ventilation summer and winter but harder to build.

A shed roof instead of a gable roof can also work.

Slope of the roof is important but I'd have to look up the ratios. I don't know how much building experience or resources you have; maybe you know already.

Last edited:
Mainly out of curiosity I'm trying to think about how a permaculture garden influences coop design. I'd think you'd want to collect rainwater, either for the chickens or irrigation. I'd pay attention to shadows so I'm not shading the garden. I'd want the compost pile reasonably close by both for garden wastes and for the collected chicken poop. I just don't see how any of them strongly influence coop design. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd think what you can do to make a good coop would be top priority.

I like reusing and repurposing buildings for coops, but only if they are structurally sound. You know you are going to have to replace the roof. What you don't know yet is how solid the rest is. I'd consider that my first order of business, find out how good the frame and other wood is. Some of that paneling and wood inside doesn't look hopeless. Even the exterior paneling may be salvageable. That outside trim doesn't look that good to me. You might be able to use that frame as is, you might be better off tearing it down and building on the foundation. One concern is that the wood is so aged that it will split if you try to remove it.

The cleanest thing is probably to tear it down and rebuild it or build it somewhere else. But if that frame is useable it should make life easier. I'd want to if I could.

I think it has potential. I agree with the "check out structure group"
If framing is sturdy and wood is strong , and you don't hate where it's located! I would try to salvage it. .
Questions: budget? Lumber availability and prices? How handy are you and what tools do you own?
You can add to existing roof to make overhangs. (Very common way to add ventilation above chooks heads. ) If salvage is feasible you can figure out how to add ventilation on non windy sides. That's my opinion but we are fixer uppers at this house. :eek:
Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom