Eastern WA - Be Careful Where You Get Your Birds.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pips&peeps, Jun 4, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There are confirmed cases of ILT in Eastern WA.....

yes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:58 AM
    To: Dhillon, Singh
    Subject: ILT

Dr. Dhillon,

I was wondering if you could tell me if there have been any confirmed cases of ILT in Eastern Washington within the past 4-6 weeks. I am particularly interested in the Reardan area.

Thank you,

Jean Ribbeck
    Pips & Peeps

Dr. Dhillon is the Veterinarian at the Avian Health Lab in Puyallup. This is highly contagious so be careful out there. You can spread this on your clothing or shoes just by visiting a farm with this disease.

If you live in that area, I would suggest vaccinating your birds as they have not proven or disproved that wild birds can carry it. Also, if you plan to attend the Fair in that area, vaccinate!!!!!!!!!​

2. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Ok, call me dumb, but... what does "ILT" stand for?

3. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
  4. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Yikes, that doesn't sound good, though my browser won't open the link you posted.

How do I vaccinate? Is it something I do myself, or will the dep't of agriculture help me out?

5. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The vaccine is an eye drop. It is very easy to do.

No, the Dept of Ag will not help you.

Try copying and pasting the link to see if that works or look up merck veterinary manual.

ETA: If you have purchased chicks that came from this area and now have a sick flock, please contact the WA Dept of AG.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. Anne

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    No, I haven't purchased any chicks from that area and don't have any sick birds, but if there are any diseases in my state that are preventable by vaccine, I want to vaccinate! Any idea where I could get those eye drops, or is that something I should contact my dep't of Agriculture about? (Dep't of Agriculture is, in my expreience, famously unresponsive).

7. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    First State Veterinary Supply has it. Also there is a company called VSI that has an office in Oregon and I believe they have it too. Their number is (541) 926-8000.

My statement about if you have purchased chicks/birds from that area was directed to anyone on the forum. I am under the impression that birds have been shipped out of State and chicks have been sold in the past 4-6 weeks at Northwest Seed & Pet from this "area".

FYI, there is a law on the books in WA if you negligently spread disease you are liable for all damages.

(Dep't of Agriculture is, in my expreience, famously unresponsive).

I know, I have been riding their butts about this farm for the last year, but it looks as if they may finally listen to what I have to say.​

8. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    VSI doesn't sell to the public. [​IMG]

I would try online or a local vet.

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Hmm...that is interesting...but I'm not sure what that stands for, or what it is....how is it spread? Thanks!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Infectious Laryngotracheitis It's respiratory in nature. From thepoultrysite:

A herpesvirus (pathogenicity can vary) infection of chickens, pheasants, peafowl and turkeys with a morbidity of 50-100% and a mortality usually 10-20% but sometimes up to 70%. Recovered and vaccinated birds are long-term carriers. The route of infection is via upper respiratory tract and conjunctiva or possibly oral and the course of the disease is up to 6 weeks. Fairly slow lateral spread occurs in houses. Transmission between farms can occur by airborne particles or fomites.

The virus is highly resistant outside host but is susceptible to disinfectants. Movement and mixing of stock and reaching point of lay are predisposing factors.

Signs

Dyspnoea.
    Gasping.
    Coughing of mucus and blood.
    Drop in egg production.
    Ocular discharge.
    Sinusitis.
    Nasal discharge (low pathogenicity strains).
    Post-mortem lesions

Severe laryngotracheitis, often with blood in lumen, caseous plugs may be present.
    Microscopically - intranuclear inclusions in tracheal epithelium.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by