Eastern Washington

Worn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Chelan
Just wondering if anyone from the east side of the state would like to start a thread? I check the "Washingtonian" thread once in a while and it seems like most people who post are from the west side. Just wondering what everyone over here thinks?

I'm starting to think that all the disking and prep we did for our 60x60 garden was a waste of time
barnie.gif
I think the soil is too dense and my crops are gonna suffocate. It seems light and fluffy until I water. Then it really compacts. Tried getting my corn in the ground and within 24 hours, the plants were dead and we even had awesome weather so I know they didn't freeze. Even my snow peas on the porch are pretty much dead and wont grow. Looks like I might be buying some cheap planters and doing some tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in containers this year. I cant afford to buy enough good soil or anything to make my 60x60 garden good enough for my plants but I can buy the good stuff for a dozen planters or so. Still, I'm disappointed we wont be able to get the corn in the ground this year.
idunno.gif
Do you use the pine shavings in your coop? I would turn under the shavings under to break your soil up it takes several yr.s to break down, keeps the soil from compacting. That is along with your manures, also a green cover crop would be good next fall,we have the same soil. I think its been too cold to plant corn yet this yr check soil temp. I know we usually plant earlier but this last 2 yrs have been very unusual.

Last edited:
I think it is a great idea!!! but it should be a eastern washington/ north idaho thread. Since Idaho seems to be mostly bosie area people and I am right on the washington/Idaho boarder and try to use the "washington" thread but everyone is on the west side of the state.

what do ya think?

since I used to live in Wenatchee and LOVE that side of the state (do all our camping etc there) Ill bump for ya to help launch her
wink.png
...Id probably lurk a bit too even
big_smile.png

Quote:
AAAhhh!
ep.gif
fl.gif

You scared me with this bit of info! I just got off the phone with Spokane County zoning. I was afraid my land might have been zoned LDR... but thankfully it is zoned Rural-Conservation. So I can have 1 fowl per 2000sqft. I have 13k sqft lot... so I'm good up to 6 birds! SA-WEET!
yippiechickie.gif

Nice to know I'm "legal".

Cheers!

I'd like to know where this information could be located as I can find no reference in the Spokane County ordinances that refer to chickens......

Quote:
Your neighbor sounds very two faced, along with the teacher!! I hate to say it but maybe your family would be happier in the long run with moving (if thats an option) to a place a little farther out of town. Then you would have a great excuse to get some Pygmy goats, space!! I can't stand nosy neighbors, let alone facebook page making ones.

As far as rehoming your chickens, maybe there is a nice local BYC person on here that could take them. Hopefully they would let you visit the girls every once in awhile or at least send you pictures. Just a thought.
hugs.gif

Geese are quite intelligent.

They are also territorial, but they can be trained that family members are higher social status and are not to be bitten. It's just like with dogs. Somebody is going to be the boss and it works better for everyone if the boss is the human part of the relationship.

Welcome! I'm in Wenatchee and got most of my chicks at Big R, too (they call it Coastal Farm and Ranch here now).
I've literally been sitting out by the coop for days as mine are just beginning to lay and I love to know which egg came from who.

Don't laugh --- but (notice one T )

If you take different colored lipstick and use it to mark the vents of your hens, the color will transfer to the egg when it .. uhhh ... passes

OK, go ahead and laugh.

Back
Top Bottom