Eastern Wild Question?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SilverPhoenixNS, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SilverPhoenixNS

SilverPhoenixNS Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Windsor, Nova Scotia
    I am getting a breeding pair of eastern wilds in the spring ad i ws wondering if i could free range them...i have four layer cickens now and every noght they go back in there coop at dark(dont worry they will be gone before the turkeys come)

2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    i dont free range mine, just because they would be in the trees. but would proabably stick around. dont want to find out though, they cost money! i will free range the chicks they raise this year though. i do know a guy who just has a tame flock of wilds in his feild. he can tell them from other wilds only because they dont fly off when he goes out to feed, and they come for the corn. like any bird thats all they need if they are hungry enough.

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I would check before you get them... most (if not all) states require a permit for them and there may be laws about keeping them confined. I know up here I would need a permit for any type of bird found locally in the wild, and if they escape there is a time limit on how long I have to catch them before I face a fine.

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Quote:x2

Don't let them breed with wild eastern wilds!!! Although called eastern wild, the birds you get have been domesticated!!!

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    X3!

99% of people marketing Eastern wilds just have standard bronze. To get Eastern wilds, you would just about to trap them or get them from a state rehab. Kinda like people selling easter eggers as Ameracaunas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by