Easy Chicken Door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by florida lee, Jul 11, 2011.

1. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I'm building a new coop and wanted to put in a door that I don't have to go into the coop or run to open or close . With my tractor its an easy reach from the access panel, or as with my original tractor I used a sliding floor door with a long under deck handle (worked well) to slide open the floor drop door and had a drop down ramp via chain.
    But in the new larger semi-permanent coop a long handle not feasible. so I decided to go with a slide up door and rope. easy to make. no hinges.
    cut siding, place door in position,scr. door spacer in place to provide tract for door. note 2x2 across top of door to provide weight and place to secure pull rope
    [​IMG]
    note stop blocks at top to prevent over travel of door when raising.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you add the automatic door opener motor to this door? I am looking for a lower cost of installing an automatic door to my coop. Do you plan to add a motor? If so, what kind and where is the best place to get one.

Thanks
    Mary

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's the way we did our doors in both of our coops...as you said, very convenient [​IMG] In our main coop, we converted it to an auto door months later (the conversion was pretty simple). I want to do the same in the bantam coop this fall. Yours looks very sturdy and well made!!

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    This is what I did and it works great. Old road sign cut down....simple track made from 1"x3" softwood....Add-A-Motor chicken coop door motor.....timer plugged into outlet. Up at 6am, down at 8pm....Nothing to it.
    [​IMG]

5. Slim Chickens

Slim Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    I actually used your idea Fireguy....thanks! Had an old street sign, used a cheap curtain rod as the track, and it's up and down with ease! Thanks!

6. bobchristenson

bobchristenson Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Super awesome. I was wanting to do a door like this and these pics are just what I needed. Thanks!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Those type of doors always make me nervous - I worry that they may come down on some chickens neck. And auto doors may close before everyone is back on deck. Am I just a worry wart, or do mishaps happen often?

8. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I watch my girls waiting for the door to go up in the morning so they can get out. They stand in line and when it reaches half way they are heading out already. When it comes down, icomes down slowly and ours is set to close once all of the girls get in. Believe me, they are all in and on their roost by a certain time every night. Then the door closes very slowly that one on the way in wouldn't get hurt.
    Erik

9. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Am on duty now , but when I get off in the morning I will take more closeup pics of door and motor/timer set up if that would help.
    Erik

10. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi all, posted close up photos of whole set up. Check out the thread.....Add-a-motor installation question. Hope it helps.
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by