Easy - Homemade Candler

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vyshtia, Sep 18, 2009.

1. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Here is my super easy, "homemade" candler. I purchased the desk lamp from Walmart for $9.44. I used the box the lamp came in and cut out the bottom. Then I cut out a little opening for the neck of the lamp to fit through so that the box would lay flat, then I cut out a little hole for the egg. I lay the lamp down with the bulb facing up. The box puts the egg high enough to not be affected by the heat from the lamp if not left there for too long. Plug it in, set egg on top, turn it on. Tada! As you can see, it lights up the entire egg quite well (this is just a store-bought egg).

The only thing easier would probably be to just hold a flashlight up to the egg - I didn't go this route because I have quail eggs to candle as well and I want to see the entire egg. I also like that this is a nice little functional desk lamp that I can use for other things as well if I want
    (multi-purpose!).

For quail eggs - I have another little piece of cardboard that will fit on top of this with a smaller hole cut out.

It would be really simple to make a little box like this out of wood, if so desired.

Hope this is helpful to some of you!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That is so cool! I love multi-purpose. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    will it candle a darker colored egg?

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

a simple led torch cost $2-3 here work fine.

but, your could add a useful candler to people in BYC by showing yours like picture above, so thank you. [​IMG]

5. vyshtia

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Quote:It should...it really lights up the egg - but I don't have a dark egg to test and take picts of at the moment. [​IMG]

6. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool that is a great idea!!! I have a lamp simular to that now I just need a box of some kind!!!! YEAH!!!![​IMG]

7. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    That is so cool!! Its kind of what we did! (Same concept at least.)

We took a really bright flash light lantern thing that my dad had and put it in a coffee can. Then we covered the coffee can lit with black paper and cut a small hole out. It worked really well, but only for light colored eggs.

I might try this! I am totally sending my mom this link! [​IMG]

8. vyshtia

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I just used this on my button and jumbo quail eggs and it worked well. Not quite as lit up as the white eggs. On some of the jumbo eggs where there were really dark spots, it didn't penetrate through those darker areas. What do people do for the dark eggs? Just need more light power? I think I have a 60 watt bulb in there, I could try a higher wattage bulb.

9. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Cool! We use a big spot light flash light- not the actual spot light, but it has a small tiny flash light on the handle for other purposes. it works great for candling! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by