Easy Nest box plans for outside mount?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by featherz, May 21, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I've got a few sheets of plywood and a few saws [​IMG], and I'd like to make an outside mounted two slot nest box. I've also got hinges and roofing material but all I need is a rough draft on the dimensions of each piece. I'm thinking of the type I see so often here that has the single hinged slanted top and just two simple 'box' areas inside. I made a rough draft out of cardboard but the dimensions on the one I made are so oddball I thought maybe someone had a few measurements sketched on a napkin to help me out? [​IMG]

I'm figuring I need three identical 'side, middle, side' pieces, all cut with an angle, then a bottom piece, a shorter 'back' and a larger 'roof' but I really don't want it to come out lopsided [​IMG]. Approximately two feet wide is my guess for a decent amount of space. My coop is too small so adding the outside mount will help clear up some room!

Was tempted to buy one on Ebay but the shipping kills the deal so I am going to give it a shot before I give up and order it on ebay. [​IMG].

Help a construction newbie out? [​IMG]

Heather

2. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    i did my exterior nest boxes similar to what you are talking about. my coop is 4x8, and my nest boxes are on the 4' dimension of the coop. i measured the inside dimension of that wall, divided it by three because i have three boxes, and figured how long the boxes would be. i then decided on a 16" height at the front and a 12" height at the back of the box. depth was something like 14" or 16" - can't remember which. so now you how long the top and bottom need to be (the inside width) and you know how high the boxes are in the front and back, so you should have all of the dimensions to cut out the top, bottom, sides, and middle partitions of the box. the rest is like putting a puzzle together. good luck and let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by