Easy one,but I couldnt find an answer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhotchick, Oct 27, 2011.

1. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Ok,I want to start incubating chicks & have a question.Can I take the eggs daily,mark a date in pencil and put them in an incubator? Or do the all have to go in at once?I only get a couple to a few eggs a day. I dont even have an incubator yet,but want to get a nice one.Been lookin online at a guy in Oklahoma.Like his work..THANX FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!

2. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    It's easier and you get better results if you do them all at once. That way you have consistent temps and not taking the lid off and on. Sometimes it is just too tempting to do them as you get them.

I recommend collecting and turning them 2-4 times a day, them setting them all together.

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Czech's_chicks :

It's easier and you get better results if you do them all at once. That way you have consistent temps and not taking the lid off and on. Sometimes it is just too tempting to do them as you get them.

I recommend collecting and turning them 2-4 times a day, them setting them all together.

x2​

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    At day 18 eggs go into lockdown and need high humidity than the first 18 days. So I save them for up to 10 days and keep them cool but not cold and the bring them to room temp and put them in. i do staggered hatches but usually keep them a week apart or more. I also have an incubator and a hatcher so that helps with the staggered hatches too.

5. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    See,I didnt know I could keep them for up to 10 days.Where should I keep them? I also dont have a huge flock.So a smaller incubator will work?

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I keep them in my shop but you can keep them in a basement or a warm fridge 50-65 degrees. Make yourself an incubator! You probably have everything you need close or it is cheap.

7. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I keep them in an egg carton...just turn it over to turn the eggs [​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would save for about 3-4 days (up to 10 days) turning them everyday to and put them all in at once that way they all have the same hatch date.

9. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    So what about a few small incubators? My thinking is that I can have 3 & keep them going all the time. That works! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!! Look at my responses!! I got help form Cali, Florida & everywhere in between! I know I know,The internet is old now,but we still gotta stop & think about it sometimes.GOOD OR BAD

10. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    Quote:.
    on day 10 you will have about 20 to 26 eggs to incubate and if you get a good hatch of 20 then you need a brooder to hold them at a size of about 4x6 feet. they will be in the brooder for about 8 to 10 weeks.
    some thing for you to think about good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by