Easy Quail ID

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I have A&M Giant White Coturnix and I am looking for an easy way to ID them. I've done zipties in the past, but even those can be pricey for something I'm only going to use a few weeks or months. I usually only ziptie the boys, since I generally have less of those.

Today, I went through and IDed and used a blue sharpie. I was going to use a blue for boys and red for the females and then stopped myself because I know birdies are attracted to red.

Do you think they is a CHEAP dye I can spray onto the birds that would stain their feathers(white feathers make for easy work) so I can keep the guys and gals straight?

I would even be interested in removable and reusable leg bands, anybody use them? Know where I can get them affordable?

Thanks
-Kim

How many birds are you doing? I can get 2000 zip ties for $5. Free would be better or if you could take care of 10000 birds for $10 but I don't have a good suggestion for that. You can reuse zip strips but for the price most people don't. I do sometimes because it is more convent to take them off & reuse them then to go buy them. You could order them from China & have them shipped to your door.

Some people use food coloring, dab some on their head or back ... I never have done it but I have bought birds that were colored. It lasted a couple weeks...

Nancy

Quote:
KIM THE CHEAPEST LEG BANDS I KNOW OF FROM A STORE WOULD BE www.cutlersupply.com

YOU CAN ALWAYS LOOK ON EBAY AND AT EGGBID TOO

AS FAR AS DYE CAN YOU SPRAY THEM? JUST USE SOME CHEAP SPRAY PAINT MAYBE? I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS 1.... BUT IT WOULD BE EASY ENUF TO PICK 2 DIFFERENT COLORS AND JUST GIVE THEM A LIL SHOT ON THE BACK-- SAY HIGH UP ON THE SHOULDERS? INSTEAD OF SPRAY PAINT MAYBE A SPRAY CAN OF WOOD DYE? OR EVEN A LITTLE RIT DYE MIXED IN A SPRAY BOTTLE? OR EVEN FOOD GRADE DYE

try using tie tab or may b a black sharpie for girls ??/
hmm.png

I agree with the food coloring. At Wal-Mart, back in the crafts department, there are Wilton icing dyes. They are in a small jar and are gelled, not liquid. Super concentrated. Use a Q-tip, chopstick, pencil eraser, etc. dipped in the dye, then smear a bit onto the feathers. The thick color won't run like the liquid and they're very bright. The Royal Blue, Sky Blue, Daffodil Yellow, and Kelly Green are very visable. Just try getting them out of your nail beds...
roll.png
big_smile.png
(Can you tell I was a culinary major in college?
lol.png
)

Hi,

I use leg rings for indentifying quail from an early age, day old in some case, but these can be very expensive over the year.
I use both platic coloured rings and as adult numbered Aluminium closed rings.

There are a few suppliers in England for both plastic and metal rings, but again it comes down to costs here are a few sites I use.

http://www.countryfayre-countrystore.co.uk/leg-rings-and-identification/cat_8.html

http://www.achughes.com/index.html

The product will be no more money, but the postal charges will be higher.

Another way to Id birds is to use a dye that is made for sheep, it can be bought at agiculture stores, it's not toxic and weather proof.

Ironsun

Quote:
How are you able to reuse your zipties? We are talking about the same thing right? A strip of plastic with a square head at one end you feed the pointed end through and they click as you draw them tight and just cut the excess. I've never been able to undo a ziptie, not saying it can't be done. I like the easy conveniance of zipties because I can use them for everything I have, I just hate using them for quail that I butcher every few months.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it, many good ideas.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom