Easy roosting perch idea for adolescent chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickaD, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    I hit on this cheap and easy idea for making a roosting perch for adolescent chicks: stand two cement blocks on end where desired in the coop and put a 2x4 or sturdy branch through the upper holes in the blocks. The wood can be wedged in tightly using pieces of old brick, wood scraps, or stones that fit. Each block forms the upright end for the roosting perch. This can be moved, extended (with a longer piece of wood), or taken apart as the chicks grow. It fits in nicely under our heat lamp.

2. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    We brood our "big" babies in a swimming pool with wire fencing surrounding. I just run a tomato stake through the wire. This way we can adjust the height as the birds grow. This is a great way to adjust for guineas since I keep them in the brooder for 6 weeks and they want to roost.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I give them scrap lengths of 4x4 on platforms and on the floor...

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my peafowl have 2 smaller roosts that are branch's through cement blocks,,,, but i had to tie my branch's to the block cause they were'nt thick enough to wedge in.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good idea!!! [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can see from this pic what ours looks like. Probably cost $1 at the most,

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by