Easy the mouse slayer

mscallisto

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2012
I've been a lurker for a while as I've just started with my backyard chickens. I got 2 Australops in March and they started laying a couple weeks ago. I was out by the coop moving the straw bale from the plastic bag I had covering it to a large plastic container. I knew there were mice in the bale because I had seen one run out a couple weeks earlier when I was cleaning the coop and getting new straw. My girls were rummaging around, their names are Over and Easy, and when I moved the bale, a total of 5 mice ran out. Easy (who is the bigger girl) saw one, pounced on it, and tossed it around until it was deceased. She then pranced around the back yard carrying the dead mouse like it was a trophy, all the while Over was chasing her. I knew there was no way she'd let me take the mouse, so I didn't even try. After I was done cleaning up, I started my daily chicken wrangling to get them back in the coop. As I got close to Easy, she got nervous and actually swallowed the mouse whole! I swear she was doing a snake impersonation! I kept an eye on her for a few minutes to make sure it didn't get stuck, but she was fine.

From reading the other threads here, it seems that it's not that uncommon for them to eat exotic foods? At first I was worried about the eggs, but then I started thinking about all the bugs and worms they eat and that the mouse really shouldn't affect the eggs, right?

That mouse isn't exotic to her, it's her natural food. Mine have eaten mice on and off that I know of with no problems. Kinda gross when you move something and they find a nest of pinkies and the rooster starts doing the treat call......" Look what I FOUND! I found something GOOD! I found it for YOU! I LOVE you! .........and the hens come runnin'............
sickbyc.gif

This explains a lot. My chickens devoured 3 mice yesterday and I was searching the run for the bones/carcass but couldn't find anything! I didn't think they would eat the whole thing.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom