Easy throw pillows with removable/washable covers

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by horsejody, Jan 4, 2010.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Here is an easy way to make throw pillows with removable covers. There are no zippers, snaps or velcro. It's a great way to use up fabric scraps or some of the orphan quilt blocks.

Step 1

Get a ready made pillow insert. Measure it from seam to seam. It's important to measure because sometimes manufacturers lie when they print the dimensions on the package. My pillow form was 18 inches.
    [​IMG]

Step 2

Make your pillow front. You need to allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance so add one inch to the pillow measurement to get the right size for your pillow front. The one for this example will be 19 inches. I just put some stripes together to make a simple one. If you have a pretty piece of fabric, you can use solid piece of that. If you have a quilt block laying around just add a border to make it any size you need. Here is the one I used. I think it's ugly, but I chose the colors for somebody that likes those colors.
    [​IMG]

Step 3
    Cut out your pillow back material. You will need 2 pieces of fabric. The width of each will be the same as the pillow top square. Mine was 19 inches. For the length of each piece, add 4 inches to the width. So the length of mine were 23 inches. The finished dimensions were 19" X 23" on both of my pillow back pieces.
    [​IMG]

Step 4
    Fold the pillow back pieces in half, right side showing. Fold them so that you width remains the same and the length is cut in half. MAKE SURE THEY ARE FOLDED RIGHT SIDE SHOWING. I ended up with 2 folded pieces measuring 19"X11". Iron them to get a good crease.

Step 4
    Lay the backing pieces on the top piece (right sides together). The cut edges go on the outer edges and the creases in the middle. The two backing pieces will overlap eachother.

One backing piece laid on:
    [​IMG]

Both backing pieces laid on:
    [​IMG]

Step 5

Pin the backing pieces to the front and staright stitch all the way around using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. If you want rounded corners, mark a guideline to sew on the corners. If you want squared corners, just do 1/2 inch all the way around.

[​IMG]

Marked for rounded corners:
    [​IMG]

For added strength, do a zig zag stitch just outside the staright stitch.
    [​IMG]

Clip the corners:
    [​IMG]

Step 6

Turn you masterpiece right side out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may need to something to help pop the corners out. I use popsicle sticks and dull pencils to push the corners out.

Step 7
    Wrestle your pillow insert into the cover.

I think tht the pillow in my example is kind of ugly. I wish that I had takien pictures of some of the prettier ones that I made as Christmas presents.

[​IMG]

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Gorgeous and great way to save money if you change your decor. Those little throw pillows can be costly!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Great job of showing everyone how to make these. I applaud you!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by