Easy to clean coop/run flooring? What material to use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by j_morgan76, Apr 22, 2011.

1. j_morgan76

j_morgan76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Titusville, FL
    I am wanting to easily harvest my chickens poop for my compost pile. Right now the flooring in my run is natural dead grass and when I go to clean the run my rake gets stuck in the dead grass roots.

The base of my run is a 2x6 so I was thinking of filling it with sand, saw dust, pine chips or something I could rake and skim easily.

What is the best material for this? Any advice would be greatly appriciated. [​IMG]

2. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I use the "fine" wood shavings from TSC. I like them because they are easy to work with and they sprinkle like sawdust on top of existing litter. I really like it in the winter cause I don't have to use much at all to do deep litter. The dust like shavings are easier to compost too cause they are smaller. I have blueberry bushes and I like to spread some of it with the poop mixed in around the base every spring when I clean out the coop from winter. You do have to use a shovel if the coop is ground level but mine is raised so I just scrape them out into a wheel barrow.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Since you're in FL, sand is probably your best bet. You can use a fine rake or kitty litter scoop (depending on size of run [​IMG]) to extract the poos for your garden.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    I do the same as lorihadams
    The fine shaving are the best I too get mine at TSC and all the waste products go to either the flowers or the garden
    DO NOT USE CEDER OR PAPER

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by