Easy to Clean Coop

4hLuvers

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Bay Area CA
Hi everyone!
So far we have built a secure 8' by 10' run with a plastic corrugated roof and are planning to build a 3 1/2' by 3 1/2' coop inside. We are thinking of making it easy to clean by having the walls removable. In addition, we may end up moving the coop outside the run and enlarging it at some point, so we are reluctant to build a permanent coop inside the run. Our question is : is it common to build a coop that disassembles for cleaning as well as for moving later on?
Keep in mind that the door to the run is only 3 feet wide, so if we build something permanent inside of the run, it would be stuck there.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
wee.gif

We build our coop so it could be easy cleaned too.
We can open the front and the back of the coop and we could remove it from the spot were it is now too.
We did this because I' dont want the coop on one place I like to move the chickens every now and then.
I'm happy we did this the chickens make a big mess
sickbyc.gif
and this way I just get the hose and we can clean their mess up very easy.
Good luck
thumbsup.gif

4hluver,
Sounds like a good idea. My coop disassembles for ease of cleaning. I take it completely apart about twice a year, scrub it down and dry in the sun. Here in western Washington we only get about 2 days of sun each year, so now those days are booked.
smile.png
Check out spookyevilones post earlier today in the coop forum. He had an interesting idea from his grandparents coop. The bottom was open and he would be able to hose it into a composting pit daily.
Imp/Russ

On the little ones you can make a door the entire side of one end. This way you can just pull out all of the bedding onto a tarp and off to the compost. If you need to hose out you can tilt up the far end and it'll all pour out! I wash once per year otherwise just put new bedding and scrape poo.

I knew someone that made a pigeon coop completely moveable and it was a pretty big one too--I'd guess 8 x 10 or 12. The walls were all hinged together so they could come apart and be moved from time to time.

Connie

The front of ours is hinged and it swings open, the fasteners are just simple slide bolts that go into holes drilled into the frame:

img_1807.jpg

I clean it out once a week and it's very easy. It's a Dennis Playhouse Coop .

Another BYC member - I can't recall who - made this same design but she made it so the outside window wall swings open; I thought that was a great idea because she doesn't need to go into the run to clean out the coop.

Phyllis

Last edited:
if you are on a high speed connection, chick out my byc page, the link is over there
<=
i put doors on opposite sides which are also the walls. the floor boards come up too. i wasn't sure how i was going to clean it so i just made it so i could do anything. it worked out that i usually just push the bedding with a broom from inside the run (so i'm not in the rain) out the back into the wheelbarrow, actually easier to clean than i thought.

the nest box assembly also completely disassembles too. pull the short front wall, slide out the vertical walls and then the bottom comes out.

i suppose i should add all that info to my byc page

Last year, one of the members posted pictures of their coop, that could be taken apart. The walls were framed separately and bolted together. It's a nice idea for anyone that might be moving and want to take their coop along, too.

Edited to add:
It was this thread, but all the pictures and descriptions were removed by the op. So, no help there. At least you know not to spend time searching for it. It's too bad, because it was a great little coop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7142

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom