Easy to clean/move coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savagefreedom, May 16, 2011.

1. savagefreedom

savagefreedom New Egg

May 16, 2011
    I am looking for opinions on Coops. We will have 4-6 hens. I need something underground/overhead predator-proof, open-air for southern summers, Urban Enviroment friendly, and easy portable. We move every 2-3 years. We have decided on Delaware, Sussexs, and Austrlopes. And would like to spend under 1200.00 total for COOP. We would be willing spend a bit more so the hens would be happy. Any opinions on Eglu compare to a Wooden Coop. I want something pre-fab, as my building skills are non-existed. Thank you

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    for that price range, you could probably fine someone local to build you a nice tractor coop. Check out the "coops" section at the top of the page for ideas.

3. keds45

keds45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    I dont have an Eglu cube, but I do have the classic and I love it. I have a wooden arc as well, and I like it too, but it's much harder to clean, and in my climate I don't think it's going to hold up as well--after 1 1/2 years in the pouring rain the eglu shows no signs of wear and tear. I think with the eglus the limiting factor is that the runs are pretty small, but that is easily remedied with free ranging time., a different run set up etc.... Also if you are going to want more than a few chickens you will want something bigger. Maybe this info will help. I am hoping to get a cube before too long as well!

Also, here in the Pacific Northwest we don't have alot of extreme heat or cold. That may be something to consider.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. savagefreedom

savagefreedom New Egg

May 16, 2011
    We are currently in Alabama (Extreme heat), prolly moving to Colorado in a year or two (Cold). That is my main concerned with Eglu is the size. I figuredthe EGLU would hold up the best for frequent moves. It just seems SMALL. The chickens will be allowed to free-range when we are outside with the chickens. But we have to be careful of rattlers and water moccassins and copperheads I love this houses, but unsure of how well it will move and whether it set us over our maxium weight allowance. http://www.greenchickencoop.com/Large_Coop_Designs.html Elizabeth tractor design. But if anybody builds chicken coops near Montgomery, AL. We be willing to pay to have one built [​IMG]

5. keds45

Feb 27, 2011
    That coop is " to die for" ! As much as I love my Eglu, I'd be hesitant to recommend it if you live somewhere with really extreme temps, or harsh sun which will break down the plastic. It is super sturdy though. Maybe you could find a less expensive coop for now and spring for something amazing later?

6. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Your daytime run can be made with dog kennel panels. You need to secure them from predators but they are not very heavy and easy to move/put together even with only one person doing it. I guess for a coop you need to decide how many chickens total you will have and go from there. I only have 4 Buff Orpingtons and they live in a elevated coop that is 4x4 with exterior nest-boxes. I have handles on it and two people can move it. Considering adding wheels to make it even easier though. Having your coop movable is going to be the big thing. I guess the large coop would be movable it there were skids under it so it could be pulled onto a trailer for a move. They move and deliver sheds around here like that. Best bet is to check out all the coops in the coop designs section and in this thread. There are really some great ideas in both places. Good Luck. [​IMG]

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sometimes people also build their coops on trailers. Then you could detach the run and tow it to the new house. It's pretty easy to do. If you go with something like a dog kennel for the run, you could move it. You could also sell it and pick up another one when you get to the new place, if you want to.

I'd want a more open air coop than the eglu for Alabama summer heat. They are well designed and sturdy, but weren't designed in a climate like yours. You could always join their forum for owners in the USA and ask if there are any owners in the south or southwest. They could tell you if it's working for them. If you build one of your own, you could always cover some of the open walls or ventilation openings later, if you move to a much colder area.

8. keds45

Feb 27, 2011
    I agree with the above.

What if you modified a nice looking large dog house (i think Mother earth news has instructions for this) and then used the dog kennel fencing for the run. That would be portable or easily sellable/replacable, and would still look nice in an urban setting. Just a thought.

Maybe that would be fairly inexpensive so you could hire someone to modify the dog house if you dont want to do it yourself!

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by