Easy to digest treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SusanD, Mar 8, 2015.

1. SusanD

SusanD Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone have any suggestions for treats that chicks can digest easily (without grit, as mine have not had the chance to get any)? My parents and I gave ours some hardboiled egg today (both yolk and white) and also some kale chips. I'm hoping that both of those were ok.

Also, my smallest chick (a black langshan) seems to be spending more time pecking at small wood shavings (from disintegrated wood pellets) than at actual food. I'm now aware that some pecking is normal, but is there a point at which I should be concerned?

Thanks,

Susan

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  2. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    My chicks get broccoli, cucumber and bananas chopped up very finely. They really love the broccoli up until the time they are about 10 weeks old.

3. djh1982

djh1982 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Easley S.C.
    I don't think I'd be too concerned about the pecking of the wood chips.. It's normal for chicks to want to peck at the ground.. That's just what they do.. My 6 week old chicks always peck at the new shavings when I clean the brooder.. They also like to scratch at the hardware cloth on the bottom of the brooder like it's the ground or something. They seem to be just fine..

4. losttexan

losttexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Lubbock, TX
    Sorry for the repost from another thread:

Ok, I'm perplexed and need advice. I have seen many folks here post about how much their young chicks like mashed-up hard boiled eggs, and use it as a great treat/tamer aid. That makes complete sense, and I'm sure they're right. The problem is - my chicks hate it! I have tried it at various times on three different unrelated clutches from three days to 4 weeks, and every single one them looks at it, gives it a peck, shakes their head to dislodge it, and then bypasses it to go straight for the feed. Not that there's many different ways to prepare mashed up hard-boiled eggs, but am I doing something wrong (I can't imagine what)? It's not a big deal, since they all eat/drink/poop well and grow up just fine, just thought I'd share my peculiar chicks' behavior and see if anyone has experienced the same thing.

5. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Same here! Passed right over the scrambled eggs I offered :/

6. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    It takes the chicks a day or two to get used to some of the new foods. I don't mash my eggs up, but I cut them in tiny cubes. My chicks do eat them - I think they prefer the whites over the yolks though. Their tastes will change as they age, so if they don't like something now, try it again in a couple of weeks.

My 3 week olds are eating peas, corn, cucumber, banana, broccoli and cantaloupe. Today I cut up some strawberries, but I didn't check to see if they ate them. So far they don't like cooked carrots at all. Most of my adults don't like carrots either, but a few of them will eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by