Easy to find buyers??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, Dec 1, 2009.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I have went to my feed mill mill and placed my order already for may. 150 Meat and 6 turkeys. I am wondering if it will be hard sell these or if I better get a really big freezer.

Has anyone had problems selling their birds?

And I am seeing some way out pricing per pound on birds. Is there an average per pound that people are using? I see anything from $4 - $6 per pound which seems outrageous. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, $6/lb?! If I could get $36 for a chicken I'd quit my real job! I get $10/each.

3. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So you just charge by the bird and not by the pound? Sounds good.

For plucking I see you made a WhizBang. Has anyone thought of using an old washing machine to convert to a plucker?

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    When we did our first couple of batches of Cornish we sold them for $10 each for the smaller ones and $12 for the larger. We're going to try $15 a bird with the next batch; we've already quoted that price to people who apparenly didn't flinch at the price. Time will tell....

We sold some of our heritage turkeys to friends and co-workers for $25 each... people in our area SOLD OUT of their heritage turks at $6/lb (with a cap of about $100 per bird!). Needless to say, we're increasing the cost of our turks for the next batch to a whopping $40 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by