Easy to sex breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Curlita, May 31, 2008.

1. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm swapping two roosters for two (hopefully!) hens tomorrow. Are there particular breeds that are easier to sex than others? I'm thinking of either an RIR or a Barred Rock, and maybe a Wyandotte.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    How old will the birds be?

Barred Rocks should be easy,,,,if the birds are 3 months you shoul do ok.

In Barred Rocks the females are darker than the males by a good margin as soon as they get their feathers,,,,,get more advice than mine. And the females have the darker legs,,,,,,you will know when you see one of each sex standing together because it is that much of a difference. Maybe some people can post pics.

Most roosters will have a tail growing by 3 months but 2 months would probably be too soon to know. If you want other breeds go for 3 month olds and get the ladys by their tails.

I have 2-3 week old rirs and I THINK I have one of each but dont know,,,,one's tail is coming in very very black(boy?) and the other's tail is coming in with some red in it(girl?),,,,,,but these are show rirs. Also the one with the darker tail has a more angular head, but I am only guessing.

Girl Salmons are always cream colored. Wyandottes I dont know.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  3. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I think Wyandottes are very hard to sex until they are about 10-12 weeks old when the rooster start showing hackle and saddle feathering prominantly. Sometimes I can tell if the combs are bigger or smaller on some chicks. The other breeds are easier to sex.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I think:

Buff Brahmas (boys are much darker)

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Cuckoo marans can be color sexed fairly easy at hatch. The males are normally lighter, almost grey. The females should be darker and are more likely to have black running down their legs. Also,I think the white head spot is bigger and rounder in males,but I'm still testing that theory. I can "guess" the sex in hatchlings correctly about 75% of the time.

6. sadie10132

sadie10132 New Egg

Jul 8, 2008
    it doesnt matter how old:lol:
    i watched a dirty jobs episode and it showed me how to sex breeds when they are little
    it is quite esay:D
    [​IMG]:jumpy:yiipchick:welcome:thumbsup:D[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by