Easy way to put chicken coop on wheels?

Meast92

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Hi,

I bought a premade plan to build a chicken coop and I would like to put it on wheels. The coop is 48x60, and sits on 4 posts (4x4s). We have basic tools (circular saw, miter saw, hand drill, etc.) but nothing too specialized. What would be the easiest way to add some solid rubber tires to the coop? Can I just attach wheels to the outsides of the 4 wood posts or does there have to be an axle?

I have no idea on wheels, but questions that might help determine your needs: 48x60 and how high? How much will this weigh? How far would you be moving it, when moving...and what type of terrain? Does it need to 'turn' or just go straight? Would wheels mounted on the outside of the posts support the weight? Would caster type wheels be better? Are you planning on moving by hand? If you use something to pull it, what about building on a trailer?

The problem with using wheels is that the wheels raise the coop off the ground so it makes a large gap.

To not have a gap, and be able to use the wheels, you usually need a way to raise and lower the wheels.

So, you need a lever, or jacks, or.. . Something.

My tractor with wheels is set up so the wheels swing down into position.

A PITA.

Luckily my tractor is basically set up on skids, so we just drag the sucker, either by hand or four wheeler. Either way, easier than getting those wheels into place.

Back
Top Bottom