easy Wry neck vitamin fix silkie care

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHappychick, Oct 18, 2011.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have gotten into the habit of giving my silkies extra selenium and vitamin E to keep wry neck from happening. I was using the liquid E and crushing human selenium pills in order to do it. But recently a friend who had gotten some silkies a few years ago noticed wry neck happening to one. I told her what to give it and she said

"you know I have the same vitamins in a paste that I give to the sheep"

Turns out that sheep also need selenium and E supplements depending on where they live and the minerals in the area they graze. She used it by feeding a bit to the silkie each day for 3-4 days and it got better.

Since then I have purchased the paste (it is butterscotch flavored [​IMG] ) and am using that instead. It takes out a separate step and they seem to enjoy it I put some in their water now once a month. about as much as I would put on my toothbrush if it was toothpaste.

Just thought I would let you all know. Most livestock supply shops like Jeffers has it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by