1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eat a chicken killed by a dog?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vermontgal, Aug 29, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my layers was just killed by neighbor's a dog. She was healthy up until 6:20 am this morning when the dog attacked. We found the dog eating the chicken, and there is maybe 1/2 of the chicken left. Obviously the chicken was not killed in sanitary conditions.

Could I gut and eat the remainder of this chicken? I'd probably make chicken soup. It would be very well cooked. Her name was Sam, so we'd have Sam Soup.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    I personaly wouldnt, but that is just my opinion, pooor sam... sam soup! [​IMG] LOL

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure- as long as you're sure the bird was killed right before you found it, you'll be fine. Personally, I'd be a bit put off that I was eating a bird I wrestled, half eaten, from a dog, but if you're fine with that, I don't see any harm in it.

4. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Our neighbour up the road makes broth out of the wild Turkeys the dog brings home [​IMG]

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    IMO,, NO! Like you said it was not killed in sanitary conditions. Who knows what the dog had in his mouth prior to making the kill. If the carcass is already exposed, I wouldn't eat it. It could also be tough (stressed out) because of the nature it was killed. Not a quick kill.
    I know we hate to see things go to waste, but this is one of them in my book, except not completely. My DH will take out the liver and whatever else for fish bait only.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  6. mmwb

mmwb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    If you get to the animal very soon after it was killed, and before chewed on,I wouldn't worry about that. However, predators have an enormous amount of undesirable bacteria in their mouths. For that reason, I probably wouldn't.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I would eat the neighbor's dog.

Ok, not actually eat the dog, but........................grrrr

8. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Reminds me of that Cash song "boy named Sue". [​IMG]

I wouldn't eat it. But, tjmho.

9. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I've dressed out and eaten chickens killed by a fox, and hit by cars. The fox got run off by one of my dogs, couldn't run fast enough to get away with a big heavy chicken in it's mouth, and dropped it. It wasn't very badly damaged, I just trimmed out where the teeth punctured. I've had a couple of hens get hit by cars, when I was nearby and heard it happen, and got the carcass immediately, then, too.

They were all fine, you wouldn't have known they weren't just routinely butchered.

But I wouldn't eat one that was already half gone, or badly mangled. Or if I didn't know for sure it was fresh.

10. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Is the neighbor's dog up on his rabies shots? Not even sure if that's an issue. I have a dog that loves to eat any animal's poop, including her own so if she killed one of my chickens it'd be trash. The bottom line is you don't know where that dog's mouth has been.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by