Eat a CRD bird?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrleek, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jrleek

jrleek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    A friend and I bought a bunch of chickens from a backyard farmer, but they seemed to be infected with CRD (Mycoplasma gallisepticum). We treated with anti-biotics, and culled the sickest birds. Most seem to be OK now, but one of my friend's birds has had a serious relapse. It seems sick enough to cull, but now it's large enough to be worth eating. Is eating a bird with CRD OK? Apparently most backyard flocks have it, so it seems unlikely that nobody is eating these sick birds. I can't find any guidance one way or the other on the internet though. Aside from this link, http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0756e/T0756E08.htm#ch7.2.4 which seems to mostly say, "Don't eat the lungs and neck."

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's absolutely OK to eat chickens with MG. It's non-transmissible to humans. I've never heard of the neck and lung thing, but it wouldn't really apply to me anyway because I discard the lungs and usually the necks, too.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by