Eat Eggs or Hatch Them????!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by josiemare, Apr 24, 2011.

1. josiemare

josiemare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Why do I feel this way?

I have 8 eggs from my perfect EExBuff Brahma that started laying a week or so ago. I am getting one perfect egg a day. Beautiful green in color. Pullet is a beautiful gold laced black muffed and feather footed girl with a pea comb. Cockerel is gorgeous columbian buffed eex as well. The eggs would be eggactly what I would want in my next generation of crosses from this project.

However, it is easter. The novelty of giving these eggs to my mom in an easter basket would be priceless. The eggs are about the size of a bantam egg or so....

I just feel terrible by possibly giving these eggs away. I am viewing them as possible chicks. Suspended in animation if you will. It is making me feel terribly guilty! I feel like I am "killing" them!

Does anyone ever feel this way? I feel so guilty for giving them away to be used as food!!!! Ugh....my potential chicks!!!!

I feel better at least. Thank you and Happy Easter!!!!!!

2. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    I would give them away, she will be laying eggs for a long time to come. I ate my hen’s eggs for a month before incubating some. I'm doing my first batch in the incubator now. So hopefully they hatch. If I were you I wouldn’t worry too much.

3. josiemare

josiemare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Well, after much consideration. I took the eggs for show and tell. I brought them home. I am going to wait for a few more eggs and fire up the bator. I decided that the eggs sat for an unknown length of time outside and wouldn't be safe to consume....

Yeah.....9 eggs now. 3 more and the bator gets loaded....My first batch of my second generation of ees gets underway.....yeah!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by