Eat more eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstricer, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Everyone selling eggs get ready, Its official, heard on ABC news, The Canadians(sorry if I misspelled) found that eggs lower Blood Pressure and many other good things [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I eat 3 a day and all health issues Doc says are fine. Nothing like fresh eggs. I think all the hype you hear about every issue on TV and the radio is just media sensationalism. Notice all the horrible issues that where life threatening a couple years ago are now gone? I just live life as I always have and at 59 still kicken.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have done a lot of nutrition research in the last couple of years. I seriously now consider crustless quiche made with heavy cream to be the ultimate health food [​IMG]

4. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:I agree! And now I'm hungry! Maybe I should make a quiche![​IMG]

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I just had my breakfast two little leghorn pullet eggs their first. YuM-YuM [​IMG]

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:No, it has to have a crust, but the crust has to be made with lard to get the full health benefits!

7. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    My DH made a quiche last night for dinner. I had a piece for breakfast. And now I don't feel as guilty!
    Thanks for the info!

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    No, it has to have a crust, but the crust has to be made with lard to get the full health benefits!

While the lard is perfectly healthy, the flour is not. I suppose you could make the crust out of almond meal. I make my sugar-free cheese cake with almond meal crust.​

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

heh- agrre about eggs, Canuck here

Try this

Lynne's Spinach Quiche

This is my recipe, altered from one that contained sugar

* 12 slices bacon (about 1 pound)- you can substitute bacon bits
    * 3 cups fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped
    * 3 eggs
    * 2 teaspoons splenda
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/2 cup minced onion
    * 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
    * 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, Swiss or Mozarella
    * 1 1/2 cups cream, warmed in microwave

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2. Arrange bacon slices in a medium skillet. Fry over medium-high heat until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels, then crumble into bottom of pie plate. Cover with spinach.
    3. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, salt, onion powder, minced onion, garlic, and pepper. Slowly add cream. Pour mixture over spinach. Top with shredded Jack Cheese.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

This is so good for breakfast or supper, and better made with your home-raised eggs!

10. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Is reg. sugar the same measurement as splender, in your recipe? Did you know that you can grow stevia as a natural sweetner. The leaves are sweet you can chew them. (shhhh just dont tell the kids or they'll be eating your plants up. I have one that got 4ft tell. You can put the leaves in sun tea while setting out in sun, and it will brew with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by