Eat your blackberries/raspberries?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JetBlack, Aug 3, 2010.

1. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Do your chickens eat your berries, off the plant? I have a ton of berries this year and will be disappointed if the chooks eat all my berries! The new pruning method works great. Wish I had not followed Gurney's advice, all those years!!!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have blackberries growing wild all around my property, and if my hens can reach them, they do eat them. They LOVE berries.....sorry to say........[​IMG]

3. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Quote:Stupid chickens.

They love to rest under the plants, in the dappled sunshine. Hopefully they won't jump to the top and eat ALL of them. I'll have, probably 80 pounds of berries but who's to say six chickens can't eat that much, before I can get to them? They'll probably sit and stare at each one until the moment it becomes ripe them pluck it off, eat it and move on to the next one.

The bantams will probably just climb the plants to get to the more succulent ones.

4. JetBlack

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I'll come home from work, to find all my chickens laying on their backs, with their wings straight out and bellies stretched tight.

[BURP]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I only have berries from my the height of my tallest chicken and upwards....lol.

Below that... nothing but sticks and thorns. Silly birds.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I also lose all my low lying blackberries and the chickens eat so many their poop turns purple!

Sandie

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is fun to watch them jump up to pluck a grape or berry well above their heads. It's about the only time I see them jump without flapping thier wings.

8. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    Smart birds...they know what is good for them. yum yum fresh fruit.

9. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I have about given up on my berries because of the chickens. I watch them fly a foot off the ground to grab berries.

The good thought is maybe they will poop out the seeds and spread more berry bushes around so we can all have some someday.

*sigh*

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I've seen my chickens work their way to the top of a 30' mature Illinois Everbearing Mulberry tree. (See my BYC page for pics of the mulberry tree) So I don't think your blackberries/raspberries stand a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by