Eaten egg! :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Renee572, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    I am so sad... I just found an eaten egg in the coop right under the roost. I'm assuming maybe my BA laid it while she was roosting for the night and it broke so the hens took to eating it. She started laying a week ago and has never laid in the box and so far they had not bothered the eggs she laid which is why I assume it must have broke before they ate it!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Do you think we will have further problems with egg eating now? I am so worried now and so sad! :(

2. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I thin you're right that it got broken accidentally and then the hens ate it. Any hen will eat a broken egg, so I wouldn't worry. It doesn't mean they'll break and eat eggs that are intact.

3. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    Amina, I sure hope so! But even more I hope Penguin starts using the nest boxes!

4. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Are these new layers?

5. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    I have 5 hens and I believe only 1 is laying so far. She started laying 1 week ago and this would be her 6th egg. The shell looks the same as the other 5 so I assume it's hers especially since it was under where she usually roosts.

6. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Well since she just started laying, she is still figuring things out. Put a golf ball in each nest box so they at least know where they are supposed to lay. But you can expect the occasional soft shelled egg in new layers, which may not feel like an egg to them when they lay it, so they may just think they have to poop. Those will be likely to get broken and eaten. They will get better at all this soon, though!

7. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    Thanks Amina. This shell felt hard to me so I think maybe she just needs to figure out she can't lay while roosting. Her eggs are quite small still so maybe she didn't realize she was laying. It looked like it may have been a bit smaller than the others. I do have golf balls in the nest boxes.
    Anyway , I think you are right and she just needs to figure things out. I was just a little freaked out being that these are my first chickens and my first experience with them laying eggs.

8. Amina

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I've had lots of weird things happen with new layers. I've had one that couldn't figure out when the actual egg laying would happen, so she'd be in and out of the nest box all morning long, get impatient, leave the box, and then lay the egg while getting a drink of water. Another time, a pullet laid an egg in the morning, and then a shelless egg in the evening of the same day. She didn't seem to realize it was an egg at all. She acted like she was pooping and then went on her merry way. I've had eggs with normal shells except for a soft end. And then there are the times that they are first laying and not really sure where to do it... so they pick a corner somewhere with not enough bedding, and the egg breaks as it is laid. All this stuff happens, but straightens itself out with time.

If there are certain corners of the coop where they lay instead of your nest boxes, either block those off or put a nest box in that corner. If it's just happening under the roosts, then I'm guessing they are still learning to recognize when they need to lay an egg.

All in all, just expect to have a couple more odd incidents for a month or two. Everything will be fine. :)

9. mumofsix

mumofsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    [​IMG]Thanks for the replys ! I found a soft egg shell from one of My EE's and was afraid they would start eating all the eggs.One of My EE's have just laid 3 eggs in a week ,but this shell was pink the others are green/blue. I also offer oyster shells

10. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    Amina- my BA has laid 2 in one corner of the coop that's kinda hidden and the other 3 in random places on the coop floor. This 6th egg was right under the part of the roost where she usually sits. Anyway, yesterday I redid the nesting boxes because I thought they might need some changes for her to actually use them.. I put a dish pan with wood chips in the corner where she had laid 2 of her eggs. I sat out there for an hour yesterday evening because I knew according to her other eggs she should have been laying another soon. I watched her pace back and forth, she got real vocal and kinda loud, she'd flew up to the roost every now and then, she'd peek into the dish pan I put in the corner for her like she was thinking about getting in. She'd walk away and squat somewhere else. She seriously did this for an hour while I watched and nothing. I had to go somewhere but I was back 2 hours later and checked on her and no egg to be found. All 5 were already roosting for the night so I think she must have laid it between 8pm and 7am. :/ we will see if she lays another tomorrow, should be a mid morning one according to the little pattern she has going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by