Eating a bird that has respritory illness?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Barnmaradotte, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    So I have 2 dual purpose birds that are possibly infected with an respritory illness. I feel it may be best to cull them. Can they be consumed by humans?

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I don't know a whole lot about meat birds, but eating sick chickens sounds like a bad idea. Respiratory infections can be cured pretty easily and quickly and won't spread as long as the infected birds are isolated, so I personally wouldn't cull them.

3. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    From what I understand, you can only cure the symptoms. The bird will always be a carrier and it puts the others at risk. The illness can turn worse and then wide spread.
    I feel that bottom line, they are livestock. Cull when they become carriers. Thats just my opinion.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'm back and forth on eating birds with diseases - I guess it depends on the disease. I have no problem killing and consuming a cornish with CHF and ascities, and I might eat one of my own with a respiratory infection, if I have an idea of what it is.

Of course, there is always the "When in doubt, throw it out", but if you're really wondering, what I personally would do is contact the ag extension office, and see if there is someone they can connect you to who does know what the respiratory infection is or may be, and if they would consider the bird still safe for human consumption. If they do, I'd chow down.

5. Yknot

Yknot Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Florida/Ohio
    I think all birds carry disease. I bet we have all had diseased chicken from the grocery store. The law on commercial slaughter is the animal has to be able to walk, then it is OK to process.

6. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    A personal decision, but I would decide based on how sick they seem.

I'd probably presume that if the bird is showing serious symptoms it's not wise to go poking around in the cavity, and I wouldn't want to process it for food.

However many many birds have underlying CRD without symptoms. I imagine that means their immune systems are keeping germ numbers low, and therefore the meat is safe to process, as long as you're sensible.

Some bird disease can be caught by humans in one form or another... Hence the caution.

cheers
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by