1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Eating a Bird who has Bumblefoot, Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Montana-Hens, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Songster

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    I have a bird who arrived in the box via mail from the hatchery, with two "broken/curled" toes. She has done well up until this week, when I think her weight just caused her foot to "break down" (she is 24 weels old). She now has a black spot on the bottom of her foot where it appears she has acquired bumblefoot.

My question is" Is it ok to eat her as I assume the bumble foot is some kind of infection? Or does the infection make it such that it is risky/unhealthy to eat?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

2. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    This question gets asked every-so-often; perhaps a search will provide an answer.

3. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Just don't eat the feet.

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    You know, this is a very good question. It has been asked over and over again and I still don't for sure know the answer. Whenever it has been asked, most advice seems to lean towards not eating a bird with bumble foot since it is a staph infection. I am going to try to find out more. My brother is a very large scale commercial meat producer. I am going to ask him to see what he says. Knowing how poultry (including waterfowl, which get bumble foot a lot) are raised in commercial quantities, you would think some *must* be processed that have it.

5. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Songster

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Sure you CAN eat it.... but youre not supposed to.

i iwas interested too, so i searched google and i came up with more than one source of info saying do NOT eat it. Some are cooked industrially and put into animal feeds but not for human consumption ( although i dont like the idea of feeding it to my animals anyways)

6. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Songster

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Thanks!

I really thought it was likely not a wise thing to eat her. I raise dual-purpose girls and don't "routinely" butcher, but feel that they deserve the honor of completeing the cycle. I hated the dishonor and waste of throwing the bird away but guess in this case it is wise enough. You all confirmed my decision, I will put her down and then put her in the trash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by