Eating a chook with bumblefoot ok?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kiwi-chookn, Dec 25, 2010.

1. kiwi-chookn

kiwi-chookn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Hi.
    I have just noticed that one of my hens has bumblefoot,quite bad and looks like it will be too hard to clear up.
    Can I still eat the bird,or is better as dog tucker?
    Thanks.
    Jason

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I ate my meat birds that had bumblefoot, back before I knew what bumblefoot was. (I bought them and they already had it.)

Just don't eat the feet, I would think.

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree. Don't gnaw on the feet or toss them in for chicken stock and you should be fine.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    No, its not safe to eat. Bumblefoot, especially severe Bumblefoot, can lead to systemic infections. Better safe than sorry.

5. kiwi-chookn

Aug 15, 2009
    well im just as unsure as before asking this question.
    I dont want to waste the bird,she s a cobb and around 5kg or so,thats a good meal right there.
    If it wasnt so bad i would have her in the freezer already,but the top of her foot is swollen also.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the infection was systemic, the chicken would be sick. Fully cooked, I'd just not eat the foot. Everything else would be on the table.

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'd process her, and just check the internal organs to see if they still look healthy and normal (good liver, no spots or rings, everything looks nice). I think there are pics in various threads with images of chicken innards.

8. kiwi-chookn

Aug 15, 2009
    I have been cleaning the area for 4 days now,pulled the scab and as much of the puss plug as i could,used betadine to clean and a anti-everything cream to pack the hole and then bandaged with parrafen wax gauze and bandage.
    its getting worse.
    I gave the chook a small dose of augmentan broad spec antibiotic so we'll see how "Bookie" as my daughter called her,will go over the next few days.
    i cant bring myself to kill it off as ive grown fond of the old bird.
    The foot is pretty much swollen all over,almost going up the leg now,to the point where its inner most toe doesnt touch the ground when she walks (with a massive limp)[​IMG]

What else can I do guys,any other OTC remedies,creams,lotions and potions?

9. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Just a suggestion, here the folks focus on the meat of an animal.

If you are looking for cures, maybe start a new threat under the Emergencies forum to get better solutions.

10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Ya, I agree... more people in that section will probably have dealt with this issue more. Iv'e had it happen before but don't assist. The foot swells up like a club, I didn't eat the meat.... just put the poor bird out of it's misery and put it on the compost pile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by