Eating a fertile egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lfoose, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lfoose

lfoose Songster

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I have what may be a silly question...

My hens and roosters live together and are not seperated. What is the change of gets eggs and putting them in the frig, eating them and them possibly being fertile? If you candle them and don't see anything, can they still be fertile?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your roo is in with your hens there is a good chance that they all are fertile. You can't candle and tell which is fertile and which is not (edited to add > ) unless you incubate them and then candle and see an embryo developing after 5 - 7 days.

I am not sure if your post is out of concern about eating a fertile egg or not.

Collect them daily. They are perfectly fine to eat. An embryo will not begin to develop in them until they are incubated or sat on my a broody hen for a while.

When you crack them open look for a little bullseye with a ring around it on the yolk. That will tell you if they are fertile or not. Eat them anyway. There is nothing wrong with them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Songster

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Store now sell fertile eggs for eating. They are actually labels "fertile eggs". I dont know if they believe there is some added benefit or not.

Should try to hatch them! [​IMG]

4. lfoose

lfoose Songster

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Yes, my concern was eating a fertile egg. Thank you both for your replies. I feel better now....[​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    There is not one difference in taste from a non-fertile egg and a fertile one....Fertile eggs need the right conditions with incubation and temps for chicks to start growing, either using a incubator or broody hen....

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Maybe if they were incubated for 10 days they could be sold as meat and eggs for breakfast, no need to cook bacon.

7. chickbea

chickbea Songster

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I knew somebody was going to come up with something along these lines... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: