Eating a hen with a wheeze??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenkeepr, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Chickenkeepr

Chickenkeepr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Watertown, NY
    I've been having nothing but troubles with my chickens since a fox got 9 of them in the spring. I got some replacements which had lice, respiratory infection, worms etc. They were dewormed, treated for lice, and given a round of antibiotics. Well, most of them are much older than the woman that sold them to me said they were so they, and 9 other older hens are going to the butcher tomorrow. One of them decided to develop a bit of a wheeze yesterday. Is it still ok to have her processed/eaten? I haven't given any antibiotics.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would think the butcher would know whether or not to use the meat by their experience. In commercial chicken houses, they condemn any bird who looks suspicious in any way. If she has any nasal drainage or goopy eyes, I would not butcher. Wheezing can be caused by a number of things unrelated to a respiratory disease, such as heart problems, ascites, or others.

3. Chickenkeepr

Chickenkeepr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Watertown, NY
    No drainage, no icky eyes, no sneezing, eating, drinking, pooping and acting normally lol. I'll ask him tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by