Eating a Welsummer rooster?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Monstertone, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I got 4 birds from Mypetchicken in October. (2 Welsummers, 2 Cuckoo Marans).

It became fairly obvious to me about a month ago one of them was a rooster. Well, now it's been confirmed.

Actually, it gets confirmed every morning at about 5am, and then several times during the day as its' crowing is getting louder and louder. Personally, I love the sound of a rooster crowing, and I don't think there are any local laws prohibiting me from having a rooster, but I live very close to other houses, and I don't think the neighbors will stand for the crowing much longer.

So, I was either going to give away this bird, or eat it. At this point, I was only planning on having chickens for the eggs, and perhaps someday venturing into having meat birds.

I'm strongly considering crossing that bridge now, and slaughtering this bird.

Can anyone give me any insight? This Welsummer roo is almost 4 months old. He's a beautiful bird, but I really can't keep him.

I guess for starters, I'll read your processing thread at the top of the page.

This would be my first time doing this, and I'm not really looking forward to it, quite honestly...

-Tom

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If you like the roo, and are only worried about the neighbors, check with them!

I took our roo around to the neighbors and 'introduced' him to them. I said if there was a problem with the noise to let me know. But no one has bedrooms facing the coop, and no one keeps their windows open any more. So everyone was cool.
    In fact, several neighbors LOVED the sound, reminded them of their childhood. I got complaints when we rehomed him due to aggressiveness towards children (bantam, not Welsummer).

So, ask first unless YOU really want to be rid of him.

Oh, and I love having a rooster, and have a newer friendlier one . He takes good care of the girls and watches out for danger. His 'hawk call' sends them into hiding. His 'treat call' brings them running to him. And it's amazing to watch him get between a strange dog and the hens. He really would give his life to protect them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Man, if we were closer, I would jump to take him! I want a Welsummer roo BAD!!!
    I agree, you should see if the neighbors are bothered by the roo. If not, keep him!

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Wish you were closer to TN.
    A friend of mine has an extra Welsummer roo. Pretty boy, too!

5. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    My Welsummer roo is named 'handsome' because he is so gorgeous. [​IMG]

Cheri

6. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Honestly even after cleaning our own meat birds, 100-250 per year, I wouldn't do it for just one. You could dry pluck or skin it. Check with your local feed store to see if you can post something. Be specific if you don't want someone else to put it in their stew pot.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Eat him. I bet you'll be surprised by the difference in taste from a store bought chicken.

It's usually pretty hard to get rid of roosters as there is always a surplus. I normally just butcher mine and eat them myself rather than even mess with advertising but you can try FreeCycle or Craig's List.

I have two Welsummers and plan to get rid of the one that has 7 points as soon as I breed him. Fortunately, I've already got a buyer for him as she lost hers recently.

Good Luck.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by