Eating amounts Silkie V.S standard

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hcammack, Dec 14, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I got a silkie pullet from peachick she is a little slip of a girl under all that wonderful fluff. I have all LF birds of several breeds. Since I just got her yesterday I wanted to make sure she was eating. She is a bit but not with the gusto that the LF adults and even 8 week old chicks all display. I know she is frieghtened of the new place and I am not sure she can see very well. Should I worry. I gave her some scratch and layer pellets out of my hands today she took a bit but was very slow about pecking and eating it. I am wondering if this is normal or if I should separate her from the bottomless pit chicks and let her have her own speacial feeding time. If I am sick tomorrow and don't go to school I will make her some mash but I am probably going to school. Any advice? how much do silkies or other banties usually eat compared to LF? I have no experiance with this she is top dog with the babies so that is not a problem just wondering is she can see the food and water under all that fluff because she came from a place where she probably knew where is was.

Thanks in advance,
    Henry

2. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    do you think I should bring her in a feed her some tonight?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Henry,
    If you are concerned with her getting enough to eat, take her aside and offer her an extra feeding all to herself once or twice a day.
    I don't have any experience with the banties, but that's what worked with my smallest hen.

4. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ok thanks I did that once today but even then she did not eat that much! I will try that again tomorrow.

Henry

5. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    she is eating well today and I think she just needed to settle in and she found the food and water on her own.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: