Eating broken eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Secretlyspotted, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Secretlyspotted

Secretlyspotted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    I have an 8 mo old EE pullet that lays very soft shelled eggs. (Yes they get layer crumbles AND have oyster shells out AND I feed their old shells back to them- any help with that problem would be greatly appreciated too.) Anyway, for the past two days her eggs have had broken shells. Well, more like dented shells. It doesn't look like them membrane was ruptured, just the shell is cracked. Can I cook these eggs and eat them? Her eggs are super tasty, so I want to eat them. But not enough to risk my family getting sick.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They're probably fine if the membrane is intact, I'd use them right away tho.
    Are the nests plenty cushioned with straw or something?
    Could be she's just young and her egg factory is not working up to snuff yet.

3. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    They have about an inch of straw in each one, but I'm going to go add some fresh straw this afternoon. Can't hurt! Thanks for the good idea! And I am really hoping she is just getting herself together. For a long time she would lay eggs from the roost and they would fall and break. At least that has stopped! I can live without her eggs, so I don't really care if she is a great layer, I just don't want the others to find out how delicious eggs are and start to eat them!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. Secretlyspotted

Sep 22, 2013
    Carrollton GA
    Ugh. I really hope she gets it together! Since the only "cure" for shell gland problems is cull. We had to dispatch our first chicken a few weeks ago because of illness and my 3 year old still talks about missing her. (Really kid?! We couldn't even pet her! And we have about 1000 other animals!) Not the best part of farm life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by