Eating Cactus?

Wildsky

Wild Egg!
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
California
Ok my girls were out free-ranging today and I spoted one with a piece of cactus in her beak, I finally got it away from her and stepped on it and not 5 minutes later she had another piece....

Should I worry about this - I mean it was small but had thorns on it! ? ? ? :mad:

roll.png
I think she probably ate a piece - so we'll find out - she was flicking it around like crazy - I know its not poisonous - I just worry if she ate a thorny piece....
roll.png
silly girl, but really I can't keep them away from the cactus - we have HUNDREDS of them - I spent the first MONTH here picking them out of the back yard so my kids didn't get spiked - and well I missed a few I guess...

I know that cactus is edible for humans, but I am not sure about the prickly parts either. I'd just watch her carefully. Maybe they know how to not injure themselves, but I wouldn't want to be the one to have to guarantee that.

I'd love to have this problem right now, lol, we have about 7 inches of snow covering everything!! My girls cant even get out if they wanted to. Wish I had some info for you. Good luck.

Well the silly girl in question is fine today - so I don't know if she DID actually eat a piece and it just had no effect or ?

Funny chicken. It would be nice to know it was OK, as we have tons of them around......

Mine have eaten prickly pear fruits in the past, and it didn't seem to affect them. The fruits are a favored wildlife food, too, so are probably fine for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom